My good friend Olelo and I have decided to embark upon a quest. A dietary quest, one that will transform us into lean, green, thriving machines! Or at least further in that direction....
I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, an autoimmune thyroid disease (AITD). Since being diagnosed a little over a year ago, my family and I have been searching for the most effective treatment. This exploration has led us to Dr. Datis Kharrazian's dietary recommendations. Please see them explained further on his blog: http://thyroidbook.com/blog/autoimmune-gut-repair-diet/
Olele is a supportive and adventuresome friend willing to try Dr. Kharrazian's recommendations for resetting one's system.
The commitment: 10 days
- Most Organic Vegetables: including anise, artichoke, asparagus, beets, bok choy, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, chives, cucumbers, garlic, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, lettuce, mustard greens, onions, parsley, radishes, rhubarb, shallots, spinach, squash, sweet potatoes, water chestnuts, watercress, yams, zucchini.
- Fermented foods: including kimchi, kombucha tea, pickled ginger, sauerkraut, unsweetened coconut yogurt. You must make your own or buy one of the few brands that are genuinely fermented (not made with vinegar) and free of sugars or additives.
- Meats: including beef, chicken, fish, lamb, turkey. Fish should be ocean caught with a low mercury content. Swordfish, most tuna, and king mackerel are very high in mercury. Select hormone-free and antibiotic-free chicken, turkey, and lamb. Select beef that is grass fed, hormone free, and antibiotic free. Best choice are grass-fed and pastured meats from a local farm. Second best is organic. Avoid factory-farmed meats that contain antibiotics and hormones. For a source of good meat near you, contact your local Weston A. Price chapter leader, or order using the link on the Resources page.
- Low Glycemic Organic Fruits: including apples, apricots, avocados, berries, cherries, grapefruit, lemons, oranges, peaches, pears, plums.
- Coconut: including coconut butter, coconut cream, coconut milk, coconut oil, unsweetened coconut flakes, unsweetened coconut yogurt.
- Noodles: brown shirataki yam noodles (sold in Asian grocery stores). Avoid the noodles that also contain tofu.
- Herbs and Spices: including basil, black pepper, cilantro, coriander, cumin, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, mint, oregano, parsley, rosemary, sage, sea salt, thyme.
- Other: apple cider vinegar, herbal teas, olive oil, olives.