Thursday, January 17, 2013

Day 16: A Bit More Than Halfway Through This Elimination Month!






To mark this halfway point, I thought it would be fitting to share some of the foods I'm looking forward to reintroducing over the course of the next few months after January  (following The Paleo Mom's/Chris Kresser's/the-SCD-and-GAPS-books' recommendations for how to successfully test if I tolerate certain foods, of course):

  • Bacon! Oh my gosh. I spent a great deal of 2012 joyfully consuming bacon. I miss it. 
  • Avocado! Mmm. Avocados have always been a favorite of mine. I love the creaminess and texture. They add so much to salads, burgers, dips, you name it. Except that weird avocado chocolate "pudding" some people love so much. Ick. 
  • Chocolate! I so hope that I find that my body tolerates chocolate. I love creating food wonders with chocolate, and  I love enjoying it. It will be interesting to experience chocolate without a sugar addiction, and I will be trying to go as dark as possible with this delicacy. I realized recently that plain cacao is not something I desire to eat (currently, at least - maybe my taste buds will adjust!), so that maybe the sugar that is in different types of chocolate to varying degrees was really what had me hooked. 
  • Blueberries! I ate a lot of blueberries in 2012, and I miss my frozen bowls of blueness a great deal. Something to look forward to! 
  • Come to think of it, I am looking forward to ALL FRUIT! Nature's candy, man. That nature knows her sweets better than any candy store - mango, cantaloupe, honeydew melon, lilikoi (passionfruit), strawberries, bananas, nectarines, peaches, raspberries, and plums are just some of her wondrous creations that I am so looking forward to eating again. Maybe it's just me, but I would take a fruit orchard over a candy store any day. 
  • Nuts! In particular macadamia nuts. YUM. 
  • Garlic!
  • Onions!
  • Sweet potatoes
  • Taro
  • Cassava
  • Eggs
  • Things made out of almond flour and eggs! 
  • Carrots
  • Pumpkin (mm with cinnamon!)
  • Dairy
Now, I know some of these items may turn out to be ones that one of my various sources recommends staying away from. For instance, I think eggs are cross-reactive with gluten, and Dr. K and Chris Kresser recommend that anyone with an AITD (Autoimmune Thyroid Disorder) avoid gluten for the rest of their life. So, maybe no eggs. And, sadly, The Paleo Mom blogged that people with autoimmune conditions often cannot succesfully reintroduce dairy into their diets. :( But, only thorough and thought-out experimentation with my diet can tell. So, wish me luck! 

Until the 1st, it's meat, leaves, and olive and coconut oil...in the context of the world's population, I'm so very lucky to have such healthy sustenance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment