Friday, January 11, 2013

Day 11: Making paleo cookies for a friend

Today's menu: 
 Grass-fed beef with chives, olive oil, and sea salt; steamed allowed veggies; and grass fed beef bone broth. 
 Grass-fed 80% lean beef burger with salt, local artisan's hydoponic and baked dirt lettuce with cilantro from the mainland. 
Me trying to artistically arrange yet another dish of meat and green vegetables. :) 

Not pictured: organic unsweetened coconut flakes as a snack at the movie theater. 

Local artisan's lettuce, cilantro from the mainland, steamed broccoli with organic extra virgin olive oil and sea salt, organic free range chicken thighs (I ate two, plus the skins from two more - believe it or not, baked chicken skin cooked with olive oil and salt is a real treat these elimination-diet days). 

Recipe for the chicken thighs:

Coat both sides with olive oil
Sprinkle with salt
Bake in oven preheated to 400 degrees for 45 minutes. YUM!

In other news, for this first time this month I made some food that I can't eat. A paleo friend's birthday is coming up and I decided to make him paleo chocolate chip cookies, a true test of my willpower and possible humongous downer. I was hesitant about doing this to myself (to add insult to the injury of not being able to eat something I bake, chocolate has always been one of my favorite foods and I've never gone without it before), and in fact I seriously considered backing out of it multiple times. BUT I decided to go for it, and it really wasn't a big deal. It seems that I'm starting to view items like the ones pictured below as non-foods. Much to my surprise, it truly only bothered me a tinge to not be able to try the end result. 

Anyway, I used a recipe crafted by Simone over at zenbelly (click to see the recipe on her site). I trust her recipes completely and wanted to get the crispy and chewy texture she raved about. 



 After liquefying the first few ingredients in a Blendtec all-powerful mixer....


The little treasures glowing in the oven! 


I didn't have any parchment paper like Simone recommends, but they came off very easily, just leaving a little residue on the pan.. They also held their shape very well. I'm impressed! 



The recipe made 12 cookies. 


I had some of my roommates taste test these puppies. No, I didn't have any! 

I'm excited to get to add fruit back into my diet after this month is over, and my favorite meat product, bacon! But as far as sugary baked goods, I think this month is really helping me get over the slight sugar addiction I still retained through last month. I was already way better as far as food addictions are concerned that I had been before going paleo and then mostly paleo.

 It was amazing to break free of the wheat addiction last year, and now it's great to break free of the sugar addiction. I highly recommend this elimination diet to anyone looking to go cold-turkey on their food addictions. 

In other news, I need to go shopping for smaller clothes! I'm guessing that could be a nice bonus of the diet for a lot of us out there. :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment